Sunday, April 13, 2008

My very first smocking project

I thought I would show you my first smocking project.


I took a smocking class when Mason was 3, I was not yet pregnant with #2. Even though Mason was just about too old for smocked clothing, I had high hopes for a second child--never dreaming it would be a girl.


For my class project, I began smocking an insert. I used the unisex ecru thread. This was in the spring, and I didn't complete my project until I became pregnant later that summer. Even then, the insert didn't get completed until after Sadie was born the following spring. (In my defense, she was 3 weeks early) I did find out very early on that she was a girl, and added just the palest pink 6 cable flowers to the pattern. It is by Ellen McCarn.





Unfortunately, the baby bubble it went into was way beyond my sewing skills, so my mother-in-law had it sewn for us. That bubble pattern is STILL beyond my skill-level, but I'm getting closer!!















It was completed shortly after Sadie was born last year, and she wore it for her 3 month portrait.

4 comments:

andria said...

very cute picture.

Shannon said...

Your smocking is absolutely beautiful and Sadie looks like an angel.

Shannon F

Unknown said...

What a great job! I wish I could of taken a smocking class. I'm learning for a book (although it's a very good book).

Lainey-Paney said...

I'm very very very impressed!
:)