Sunday, January 25, 2009

Dragonfly progress

I made some progress on the Butterick baby dress this weekend. Here is Sadie modeling the bodice. This is my first attempt at sewing sleeves, and well, it wasn't so easy. The baby shoe curves I've sewn before are much more forgiving.

I did find some cute dragonfly buttons at Joanns! They are difficult to see, but Sadie and I know they're there--that's what matters :) Pay very little attention to the uneven edgestitching on these pockets...
Here is the work-in-progress. I don't love the bodice--the cut is a little bland and blocky, and somehow it just looks homemade. And that's not completely my fault--it is the cut of the garment. The placket instructions are a little difficult to understand, and I'm left with a very crude blending of the bias and the facing at the back of the neck. Fortunately, it will be hard to see.
Speaking of bias trim, it's my first attempt at that too! Not as difficult as I thought, and I got to use my new bias tape maker that I bought for Sadie's quilt.
The hem and neck are just basted--still need to be topstitched. And of course I lack all of the back buttons. I contemplated using self-cording between the bodice and skirt. I think it might have looked better, although it looks pretty good up close and in person now that it's pressed.
I didn't get any pictures of Sadie running and jumping in the skirted dress. She loves it! It will at least make a very good dress for school and play. Her smocked garments don't get worn nearly enough because they're too dressy.

ETA: I don't know why my pictures don't enlarge when you click on them. They do in my earlier posts, but I'm not uploading pictures any differently. ??
Edit II: Ok, so Sadie's picture enlarges. Wow, what a dirty little face! Pay no attention to that, either ;)

3 comments:

Summerset said...

Perfect little buttons, they're so cute!

Anonymous said...

You did a great job on this. Resizing can be tricky. It will jsut take practice. I love the blue dragonflies. So springy.

Shannon said...

This is adorable! Love the buttons!