Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Amy Butler Quilt for Joshua



In January I made a quilt for a coworker's baby boy. Technically this was my second quilt but the first to be machine-stitched through all layers and a hand-sewn double-fold binding. My first quilt made from Sadie's baby clothes, was stitched-in-the-ditch to the batting only, and then tied to the back. The binding was an insertion edging.


This quilt was made using the patchwork crib/playtime quilt pattern from Amy Butler's Stitches for Little Ones book.




I made it using these fabrics from Jo-Ann's despite the fact I was already becoming somewhat of a fabric snob.

I folded and rolled and posed this thing in a million configurations, and I can't believe this is the only picture I managed to get of the finished product. I used bias binding, thinking this was the most proper method, but it would have looked much better on straight grain. The pattern calls for high-loft batting for playmat purposes, and I think I used a medium loft. It is quilted using stitch-in-the ditch method.

It was a pretty simple and successful beginning quilter's project. And it's owner, Joshua, apparently uses it all the time as a playmat. Yay!!

No comments: